Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tyrese Gibson on "Mayhem"

Actor, singer, and now comic book creator Tyrese Gibson talks to CNN.com about why he decided to move into comic book creating. Highlights:

CNN: You're a newcomer to this genre. What's been the feedback from the comic book community?
Gibson: In everything you do, there's gonna be cynics and those folks questioning what your motivation is behind getting into anything. I dealt with it when I went from one career move to the next: "Man, stick to singing; stick to acting."

I dealt with a lot of that from certain folks in the comic book world. ... They wrote these long e-mails and [started] on a smear campaign.

I came into this whole thing very innocent. I discovered my love for comic books and I want as many people as possible to experience my comic book. There's this digital revolution that's out there but the comic book world has not embraced this digital revolution on a level that it should be embraced on. And so I reached out to my contacts and I set up a meeting ... and this is my baby.

ALSO

CNN: A lot of comic book characters become heroes on the big screen. Does "Mayhem" have a future in film?
Gibson: Right now, there is no conversation on any level about "Mayhem" becoming a film. We've been approached a few times but my mind state is this: You can't expect to sell out the Staples Center until you sell a bunch of records. So we're really trying to establish the fan base for "Mayhem" before we try to turn it into film. There's still plenty of time for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment