Saturday, August 20, 2011

I Reads You Review: HELLBOY: THE FURY #1

HELLBOY: THE FURY #1 OF 3 (Series #55)
DARK HORSE COMICS

STORY: Mike Mignola
ART: Duncan Fegredo
COLORS: Dave Stewart
LETTERS: Clem Robins
COVER: Mike Mignola with Dave Stewart (Alternate cover by Francesco Francavilla)
32pp, Color, $2.99

I read the second issue of the new three-issue Hellboy miniseries, Hellboy: The Fury, before I read the first. Since then, Dark Horse Comics provided PDF copies of all three issues. I enjoyed the second issue a lot, but was somewhat lost. Now, after reading the first issue, the story all makes sense, and the storyline pleases me even more than the first time I read it.

Hellboy: The Fury is the conclusion the union of Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and Duncan Fegredo, the Hellboy artist for the past few years. The Fury also brings an end to the story arc that began in Hellboy: Darkness Calls (2008) and continued in The Wild Hunt (2008-2009) and The Storm (2010).

In Hellboy: The Fury #1, Hellboy takes on Nimue, the Queen of Witches, who now calls herself Badhbh Macha Mor-Rioghain, the Goddess of War. Meanwhile, Alice Monaghan, Hellboy’s new lady friend, learns the story of George Washbrook, a World War I vet about to play a pivotal and fantastic role in the war between Nimue and her forces and Hellboy, who by the way is a descendant of King Arthur and is therefore the King of Britain.

I had fun reading this. It’s been years since I read a Hellboy series (about 9 years in fact). The mixture of Mignola’s moody, imaginative storytelling and Duncan Fegredo sterling graphics and pictures creates an arcane fantasy epic full of Kirbyesque crackling energy and out of this world creatures and beings. The special effects and CGI wizards of 21st century cinema could not surpass the visions here. Hellboy: The Fury is, right out of the gate, a wild ride and I want on this ride.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment