Sunday, March 29, 2015

Review: Guggenheim, Tolibao and Soy Thrill Reviewer with X-MEN #22

X-MEN #22 (2013)
MARVEL COMICS – @Marvel

WRITER: Marc Guggenheim
PENCILS: Harvey Tolibao, Dexter Soy
INKS: Harvey Tolibao, Dexter Soy, Norman Lee
COLORS: Paul Mounts
LETTERS: VC's Joe Caramagna
COVER: Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson
28pp, Color, $3.99 U.S.

[SPOILER ALERT!]

“Exogenous” Conclusion

These are my girls.  This is a team of hardcore, bad-ass women.  Back in the day, when Chris Claremont was developing strong female characters, did anyone think that it would come to this?

Broodskulls:  thank you, Mr. Guggenheim for ruining my sleep.  Mutants, aliens, genetically altered beings, living spaceships, a vampire, and a pregnant Deathbird with her mad-on:  what else could an adventure-loving fan boy ask for?

Action, there is plenty of that for you to enjoy.  The team has to fight off an overwhelming horde of Bloodskrulls.  Deathbird kills Manifold Tyger.  Jubilee and Monet have to revive a dead Storm..  Then, we get this awesome montage of a heroine beating down the horde.  Sharada Darthris tries to escape once she sees her plans fall apart, but the heroines handle that.  Guggenheim also ties up the underlying conflict between Rachel and the Shiar advisor, D'Keth, who had advised that the Shiar destroy the Grey family line.  Read this and learn what a true heroine is.

I don't know how I'm going to express how beautiful the art is.  I would take any panel in this book, frame it, and put it on my wall.  Every time I look at the art, I find another detail that makes “Marvel” at the talent of these artists.  Look at the eyes.  I am a fan.

I rate X-Men #22: Buy Your Own Copy (#2 on the Al-O-Meter).

Reviewed by Albert Avilla



No comments:

Post a Comment