Friday, September 25, 2015

Review: ALL-STAR SECTION 8 #1

ALL STAR SECTION 8 #1 (OF 6)
DC COMICS – @DCComics

[This review was originally posted on Patreon.]

WRITER: Garth Ennis
ART: John McCrea
COLORS: John Kalisz
LETTERS: Pat Brosseau
COVER: Amanda Conner with Paul Mounts
VARIANT COVER: John McCrea with Hi-Fi
32pp, Color, $2.99 U.S. (August 2015)

Rated “T+” for “Teen Plus”

“I Often Wonder What the Vinters Buy”

One of the miniseries to come out of DC Comics' “DCYou” initiative is All Star Section 8.  This series focuses on a band of misfits that is called the “greatest superheroes of all time,” at least by the leader.  Apparently, this group was last seen in DC's 1990s action-crime series, Hitman.   All Star Section 8 is written by Garth Ennis and drawn by John McCrea, the creative team behind Hitman.  John Kalisz colors and Pat Brosseau letters All Star Section 8.

Stephen Speck is a bon vivant and art critc at the beginning of All Star Section 8 #1 (“I Often Wonder What the Vinters Buy”).  But alcohol reveals the truth; Stephen is befuddled hero, Sixpack, leader of the all-star team known as “Section Eight.”  Speck is desperate to rebuild Section Eight in order to face a deadly threat. He gathers old friends:  Bueno Excellente, Baytor and the seemingly reborn Dogwelder, and adds new members:  The Grapplah, Guts, and Powertool.  Still, Sixpack needs an eighth member.  Along comes the Dark Knight.

I read Hitman for about two years back in the 1990s, and I don't remember Section Eight.  I can't say I am interested in getting to know them, now.  I like Garth Ennis, but I think Hitman is the only comic book by the Ennis-McCrea team that I actually liked.  Most of the time, their mix of explicit violence and gritty, gross, grunge does nothing for me.

I don't get Ennis-McCrea's brand of humor, although I did find the Batman bits here to be funny.  However, I like Ennis enough to try another issue of All Star Section 8.

C

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux


The text is copyright © 2015 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog for reprint and syndication rights and fees.

No comments:

Post a Comment