Thursday, August 31, 2017

Review: CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE #1

CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE No. 1
DC COMICS/Young Animal – @DCComics

[This review was originally posted on Patreon.]

STORY: Gerard Way and Jon Rivera
ART: Michael Avon Oeming
COLORS: Nick Filardi
LETTERS: Clem Robins
COVER: Michael Avon Oeming with Nick Filardi
VARIANT COVERS: Matthew Wagner with Brennan Wagner; Bill Sienkiewicz
40pp, Color, $3.99 U.S. (December 2016)

Mature Readers

Cave Carson created by France Herron and Bruno Premiani.

Part One: “Going Underground”

Calvin “Cave” Carson is a DC Comics science fiction character.  He first appeared in Brave and the Bold #31 (cover dated: September 1960) and was created by France Herron and Bruno Premiani.  A spelunker (someone who explores wild caves), Cave Carson and his team of fellow adventurers engaged in various adventures beneath the Earth.

Cave Carson is the latest decades-old DC Comics property to get a re-imagining makeover as part of the “Young Animal” imprint.  Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye is written by Gerard Way and Jon Rivera; drawn by Michael Avon Oeming; colored by Nick Filardi; and lettered by Clem Robins.

Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #1 (“Going Underground”) opens with the funeral of Cave Carson's wife and partner, Eileen.  His relationship with his now-adult daughter, Chloe, is a little rocky, but his organization seems to be humming along.  However, Carson's cybernetic eye is acting up, and he is seeing strange things, some of which might be real.

This will be a short review.  I don't know if I will read Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye past this debut issue.  It is not bad; I just don't find anything in particular that really grabs me.  I like Michael Avon Oeming's art, and my interest is piqued by the appearance of D-list DC Comics character that first appeared in the late 1980s.

I am, for the time being, wedded to Young Animal's Doom Patrol because I am a DP fan.  I am curious about Shade the Changing Girl because of its writer.  However, I might read the second issue of this third Young Animal title if I don't have to go out of my way to do so.

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux a.k.a. "I Reads You"


The text is copyright © 2016 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog for reprint and syndication rights and fees.

-------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment