Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Albert Avilla Reviews: The Fearless Defenders #1

The Fearless Defenders #1
Marvel Comics

Reviewed by Albert Avilla

Writer: Cullen Bunn
Art: Will Sliney
Cover: Mark Brooks
Variant Covers: Milo Manara; Mike Deodato and Rain Beredo; Skottie Young

The cover was really awesome. That’s what having a great cover is about; it gets your expectations up. The interior of the book did not meet those expectations.

The Defenders have always had trouble attracting readers, and this issue will not do any better. This kind of story could squeak by once the series had established itself. I’m not familiar with Mr. Bunn’s work, so I don’t know if this is leading into a great climax or if this is par for the course. If it’s par for the course, then, I am keeping my money. I like mystery, but too much mystery leaves the reader in the dark.

A first issue should pull you in and build up your expectations. This story made me nostalgic for Indiana Jones movies. Archeology has been the basis for a lot of good comic book stories. My question is where is the evil god behind the artifact that Misty acquired? Give us an awesome villain to look forward to seeing.

Marvel NOW gets a “Marvel scowl” for this venture. Valkyrie and Misty Knight really look cool on the cover. Let’s hope that Mr. Bunn can convert that coolness into good stories.

The interior art didn’t give any more than the writing. It was average comic book art.

I rate The Fearless Defenders #1 “Read a Friend’s Copy.”  #3 (of 5) on Al-O-Meter


No comments:

Post a Comment