Friday, December 13, 2013

I Reads You Review: ARCHIE #634

ARCHIE #634
ARCHIE COMICS – @archiecomics

SCRIPT/PENCILS: Dan Parent
INKS: Rich Koslowski
LETTERS: Jack Morelli
COLORS: Digikore Studios
COVER: Dan Parent
32pp, Color, $2.99 U.S.

Archie Marries Valerie: Part 4 of 4 – “Here and Now!”

In Spring 2014, I started reading the Archie comic book series for the first time in years.  Archie #631 began a storyline that focused on a hypothetical romantic relationship between Archie Andrews and Valerie Smith of Josie and the Pussycats.  Apparently, the two characters had been paying special attention to one another for some time.

After Valerie and her family move to Archie’s hometown of Riverdale, the two become closer.  When the relationship takes a turn towards the really serious, Valerie goes for a walk down Memory Lane.  This is a magical street somewhere in Riverdale that allows characters to see possible futures.

Archie #634 (“Here and Now”) concludes the “Archie Marries Valerie” story arc.  The issue opens to find Archie and Valerie quite happy and touring as a musical act.  Things change dramatically when the two introduce their young daughter, Star, into their act.  Suddenly, the family finds itself getting unwanted attention.  Also, Memory Lane shows Valerie other possible futures.

When Archie #634 was originally published last year, it sold out before I could get to the comic book shop.  A year and a half later, I took advantage of a Mile High Comics sale to finally get a copy.  I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the story now as much as I did last year.  I wish that it would run longer, if for no other reason than to have regular Josie and the Pussycats, a childhood favorite about which I am still crazy in love.

Cheers to Dan Parent, the writer and lead artist behind this comic book.  As a big Josie and the Pussycats fan, I appreciate this story, but, in general, this is also a fun Archie comic book to read.

I’ll repeat myself:   if you ever read and liked Archie, you will read and like Archie again with this storyline.

A

www.archiecomics.com

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux

The text is copyright © 2013 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog for syndication rights and fees.




No comments:

Post a Comment