Monday, December 30, 2013

I Reads You Review: SCOOBY-DOO, Where Are You? #40

SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? #40
DC COMICS – @DCComics

STORY: Sholly Fisch, John Rozum
PENCILS: Walter Carzon, Robert Pope, Fabio Laguna
INKS: Horatio Ottolini, Scott McRae, Fabio Laguna
COLORS: Heroic Age
LETTERS: Saida Temofonte, Travis Lanham
COVER: Scott Gross
28pp, Color, $2.99 U.S. (February 2014)

Rated “E” for Everyone

I previously wrote that I subscribe to DC Comics’ current incarnation of a Scooby-Doo comic book series, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? (2010).  I bought the subscription through a fundraising drive for the school my nephew attends.  I recently received the second issue of my subscription.

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? #40 opens with “Scare Mail” (written by Sholly Fisch and penciled by Walter Carzon).  The story finds Mystery Inc. working for “Tex Mex” delivery service (a spoof of FedEx).  They are delivering a package to the ghost town of Jackpot, but the gang’s true purpose is to investigate the disappearance of previous TexMex trucks that entered Jackpot and never returned.

Next up is a “Howling Good Time” (written by Sholly Fisch and penciled by Robert Pope).  Scooby, Shaggy, and the rest of the gang visit a carnival run by their old pals, the Ghastleys, who first appeared in Scooby-Doo (1997) #107.  The gang learns that everything about the carnival is just fine, except for one small detail.  For the past week, a monster has been rampaging through the carnival and scaring customers away.  If this monster mystery isn’t solved, it will put the carnival out of business.

After reading the first issue of my subscription, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? #39, I was disappointed.  This time around, I am disappointed that Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? #40 is not double-sized… or even triple-sized.  Sholly Fisch offers two highly-enjoyable stories that capture the fun of the classic Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? television cartoons.  In fact, I wouldn’t mind seeing Fisch’s two stories here adapted into Scooby-Doo cartoons.

Penciller Robert Pope and inker Scott McRae, who were excellent in issue #39, return for another story.  I like how Pope fills the panels with characters and background details that give each panel a sense of environment; McRae’s clean inking keeps Pope’s details from becoming cluttered.  However, I have to say that I’m especially impressed by Walter Carzon.  From his drawing hand, classic Scooby-Doo is reborn in the graphics of comic book storytelling.  Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? #40 would make an excellent comic book gift for a young reader.

Obviously, I’m ready for the next issue in my subscription.

A-

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux


The text is copyright © 2013 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog for syndication rights and fees.





No comments:

Post a Comment