Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I Reads You Review: DANGER GIRL: Mayday #2

DANGER GIRL: MAYDAY #2
IDW PUBLISHING – @IDWPublishing

WRITER:  Andy Hartnell
PENCILS: John Royle
INKS: Eeshwar
COLORS: Romulo Fajardo
LETTERS: Neil Uyetake
EDITOR: Scott Dunbier
COVER: John Royle and Eeshwar with Romulo Fajardo
VARIANT COVERS: John Royle and Eeshwar with Romulo Fajardo (subscription cover)
28pp, Color, $3.99 U.S. (May 2014)

I loudly declared my return to reading Danger Girl comics with my review of the first issue of Danger Girl: Mayday.  Written by Andy Hartnell and drawn by John Royle, it is the latest entry in the comic book series created by artist J. Scott Campbell and Hartnell back in the 1990s.

Mayday focuses on one of the original Danger Girl stars, Natalia Kassle, revealed to be a traitor in the Danger Girl organization.  In the first issue of Danger Girl: Mayday, a team of rogue brigands finds an unconscious Kassle during a battle on Hammer Island.

Danger Girl: Mayday #2 opens in the Kingdom of Bhutan in South Asia.  There, Kassle lives among a group of women, a sisterhood, as she gradually regains her physical fitness.  Recovering her memories remains a problem.  However, she has a new ally, April Mayday, who seems to know quite a bit about Natalie and is determined to make her the most dangerous woman in the world… again.

As soon as I saw Danger Girl: Mayday #2 on the new release shelf of my “local” comic book shop, I grabbed it.  I wanted to see if I would like it as much as I liked the first issue.  I do.  I’m intrigued and want to know what is the big mystery, hiding behind Natalie’s return and those who want to control her.

Yeah, thus far, this comic book is pretty inconsequential and lacking in substance.  Comics should be good, of course, but comics should also be fun, and Danger Girl: Mayday is more of the latter than it is of the former – but it is, in a way, both.  John Royle’s art is a joy to behold, and I found myself flipping through the book several times just to look at the art.  I plan on finding the third issue of Danger Girl: Mayday.

B+

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux


The text is copyright © 2014 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog for syndication rights and fees.



No comments:

Post a Comment