Sunday, December 10, 2017

Review: PROWLER #1

PROWLER No. 1
MARVEL COMICS – @Marvel

[This review was originally posted on Patreon.]

STORY: Sean Ryan
LAYOUTS: Javier Saltares
ART: Jamal Campbell
LETTERS: VC's Cory Petit
COVER: Travel Foreman with Jason Keith
VARIANT COVERS: Mike Deodato & Frank Martin; Jamal Campbell
28pp, Color, $3.99 U.S. (December 2016)

Rated “T+”

The Prowler created by Stan Lee, John Buscema, and Jim Mooney

The Prowler is a costumed character in Marvel Comics.  He was created by Stan Lee, John Buscema, and Jim Mooney and first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #78 (cover dated:  November 1969).  The first version of The Prowler was an African-American teenager, Hobie Brown, who developed a high-tech battle suit.  Hobie used that suit to start a life of crime until Spider-Man convinced him to turn his life around.

The Prowler is a new comic book series featuring Hobie Brown and is part of Marvel Comics' “NOW!” initiative.  The new comic book is written by Sean Ryan; drawn and colored by Jamal Campbell with layouts by Javier Saltares; and lettered by Cory Petit.

The Prowler #1 finds the Prowler acting as a hero.  Such actions cause his colleagues to mock him, and draws the displeasure of his boss, The Jackal.  It is the Jackal who is responsible for bringing Hobie Brown back from the dead after he was accidentally killed by Electro.  However, The Prowler's latest assignment may prove to be his most dangerous since he returned.

I have heard of The Prowler over lo these decades of reading comic books.  I may have actually even read a few comics featuring this character, but nothing has really stuck with me.  This comic book is somewhat intriguing, but normally this would not be enough to keep me reading.

Now, I must be honest with you, dear reader.  I try to read and support comic books featuring African-American/Black characters, as I am African-American.  I try, but sometimes, I quickly give up on those comic books if they don't interest me.  The Prowler is on the side of being of little interest to me, but I will try another two or three issues.

The art by Jamal Campbell, which is obviously rendered with the aid of software, is colorful, but sometimes, it lacks character and substance, almost looking like semi-pro webcomics art.  Normally, this is enough to turn me away, but I'll stay down... for now.

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux a.k.a. "I Reads You"


The text is copyright © 2016 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog for reprint or syndication rights and fees.

-------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment