Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Albert Avilla Reviews: Green Lantern #0

Green Lantern #0
DC Comics

Reviewed by Albert Avilla

Writer: Geoff Johns
Pencils: Doug Mahnke
Inks: Christian Alamy, Keith Champagne, Mark Irwin
Cover: Doug Mahnke, Christian Alamy, and Alex Sinclair

Simon Baz, the new Green Lantern, is the boldest move of The New 52. This is a cosmic shift in the comic paradigm. Let's create a hero from the most despised ethnic group in American Society. I can feel the shock waves reverberating through the comic book universe as I write. The haters are gorging themselves on haterade in preparation for their unfounded attacks on Johns for this visionary move. I don't know if this is the first Arabic superhero, but I do know it is the first to be the lead in a major title from an industry leader.

Ultimately, comic's highest aspiration is to inspire readers to live as heroes. Let's live the American creed. My question is why a car thief? I don't know what the ring's protocols are for choosing Lanterns, but why a criminal? The ring had an error in its functioning. All elements that could lead to interesting storylines in the future did, and that is what this story is about; foreshadowing things to come. I would have preferred to have the complete origin told here, but I'm sure this is going to tie into the events of the “Rise of the Third Army” crossover. The story itself does not live up to the social significance of the event. It was slow moving with action that reminded me of the average car chase in any police drama. It’s about what I’d expect from a story that is basically the prelude to a story.

The art was solid comic art. The first page told volumes in five panels; it invokes an emotional response in the reader. The rest was just good art.

On social significance alone I rate Green Lantern #0 Recommend It to a Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment