Friday, November 8, 2019

Review: THE UNSTOPPABLE WASP #1

THE UNSTOPPABLE WASP No. 1 (2018)
MARVEL COMICS – @Marvel

[This review was originally posted on Patreon.]

STORY: Jeremy Whitley
ART: Gurihiru
COLORS: Gurihiru
LETTERS: VC's Joe Caramagna
EDITOR: Alanna Smith
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: Akira Yoshida
COVER: Gurihiru
VARIANT COVER ARTISTS: Yasmine Putri; Ben Caldwell
28pp, Color, $3.99 U.S. (December 2018)

Rated “T+”

The Wasp created by Stan Lee, Ernie Hart and Jack Kirby

The Unstoppable Wasp is a Marvel Comics character that is a new version of The Wasp, a classic superhero character from the early days of Marvel.  Like the original, the updated Wasp is depicted as having the ability to shrink to a height of several centimeters; fly by means of insectoid wings; and fire bio-electric energy blasts.

The Unstoppable Wasp is Nadia, the daughter of Hank Pym (the original Ant-Man) and Maria Trovaya.  Nadia starred in her own Marvel comic book series, The Unstoppable Wasp, which ran for eight issues in 2017, before being canceled in Marvel's jihad against so-called “diversity” comic book titles.  Well, you can't keep a good girl down.  The Unstoppable Wasp returns in the two-oh-one-eight.  The new series is written by Jeremy Whitley (who wrote the 2017 series); drawn and colored by Gurihiru; and lettered by Joe Caramagna.

The Unstoppable Wasp #1 (2018) finds Nadia and Avengers' butler, Jarvis, on the way to Nadia's driver's license test, when she gets a call for her mentor, Janet Van Dyne (the original Wasp).  It seems that Monica Rappaccini and her A.I.M. offshoot have targeted a small Horizons Labs facility.

Nadia a.k.a. “the Unstoppable Wasp” dumps her test so that she can head into action.  She even has her own mission control that helps her on missions.  It's the girls of G.I.R.L. (“Genius In action Research Labs), who operate out of Pym Labs in Cresskill, NJ.  The Agents of G.I.R.L. are Taina Miranda, Priya Aggarwal, Ying, and Priscilla LaShayla “Shay” Smith.  But the A.I.M. operatives are led by “Seeker,” and she has a past with Nadia.

I was not feeling the first six pages of The Unstoppable Wasp #1.  I thought to myself that if the rest of this issue were like those six pages, the entire thing would be a disaster.  However, things kick into gear with Page 7, and the story turns into a sparkly superhero comic book adventure.  The way writer Jeremy Whitley presents the mission's interplay between Nadia and the Agents of G.I.R.L. is part Mission: Impossible and part Iron Man.

Artist-colorist Gurihiru makes the art pulse with a quality that reminds me of an animated television series.  It made me feel like I was watching a Saturday morning cartoon, so this is a Gurihiru illusion that works.  Joe Caramagna's lettering fits right in, giving the story a lively vibe.

I did not think that I would want more of The Unstoppable Wasp, but now, I know I do.  I hope this new series runs at least a little longer than the first – 12 issues?

7 out of 10

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux a.k.a. "I Reads You"


The text is copyright © 2018 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog or site for syndication rights and fees.

------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment