Friday, July 19, 2013

I Reads You Review: UNCANNY X-MEN #5

UNCANNY X-MEN #5
MARVEL COMICS

WRITER: Brian Michael Bendis
ARTIST/COVER: Frazer Irving
LETTERS: VC’s Joe Caramagna
VARIANT COVER: Ed McGuiness and Morry Hollowell
32pp, Colors, $3.99 U.S. (June 2013)

Rated T+

As part of the Marvel NOW initiative, Marvel Comics re-launched their longest running X-Men comic book series, Uncanny X-Men.  The new series is written by Brian Michael Bendis (who is also writing All-New X-Men).  The series artist is Chris Bachalo and various inkers, especially longtime Bachalo collaborator, Tim Townsend.  The roster of this incarnation of the Uncanny X-Men includes Cyclops, Magneto, Emma Frost the White Queen, and Magik, along with some recently recruited new mutants.

Uncanny X-Men #5 is the start of a new storyline and the arrival a new artist, Frazer Irving.  This fifth issue opens on the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier, in a meeting in which Cyclops’ “mutant revolution” activities are the hot topic.  Meanwhile, at the New Xavier School for the Gifted, Magik is the hot topic.  She’s called back to her abandoned kingdom, Limbo, by an unexpected guest/interloper.

I had not planned on writing about this fifth issue of Uncanny X-Men.  In fact, after reviewing the first issue, I didn’t plan on again reviewing the series for a long time (if ever).  Frazer Irving, however, proved to be a delightful surprise for me.  His art for this issue reminds me of David Lloyd’s art for V for Vendetta (written by Alan Moore).  His pop art graphic style, with its velvet texture and photographic effects-like color, is perfect for this story of Magik’s misadventure in Limbo.

This is the kind of art that draws your attention.  In my review of Uncanny X-Men #1, I ended the review with, “Thank God for Bendis.”  Now, I am also thankful for Frazer Irving.  He made reading this particular comic book a joy for me.

A-

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux




No comments:

Post a Comment