Saturday, April 17, 2021

#IReadsYou Review: THE SCUMBAG #2

THE SCUMBAG No. 2
IMAGE COMICS – @ImageComics

[This review was originally posted on Patreon.]

STORY: Rick Remender
ART: Andrew Robinson
COLORS: Moreno Dinisio
LETTERS: Rus Wooton
DESIGN: Erika Schnatz
EDITOR: Will Dennis
COVER: Andrew Robinson
VARIANT COVER ARTISTS: Matteo Scalera; Joshua Swaby with Moreno Dinisio
28pp, Colors, 3.99 U.S.(November 2020)

Rated “M/ Mature”

The Scumbag is a new comic book series from writer Rick Remender.  Described as a “comedy espionage series” by publisher Image Comics, The Scumbag's tagline reads, “The fate of the world rests in the hands of the worst person on it!”  The series features a rotating crew of illustrators.  Thus, artist Andrew Robinson; colorist Moreno Dinisio; and letterer Rus Wooton complete the current creative team.

The Scumbag introduces Ernie Ray Clementine.  He is a rundown, raggedy, filthy man.  He is a profane, illiterate, drug-addicted biker and ne'er-do-well with a fifth-grade education.  But thanks to a power-imbuing serum called “the Formula Maxima,” Ernie will be the only thing standing between humanity and total Armageddon... because he has suddenly become the world's most powerful super-spy.

The Scumbag #2 opens in “Simon's” dive bar, where Ernie Ray is regaling people with his recent supernatural adventures, which he, of course, thinks are drug hallucinations.  Then, Sister Mary of “Central Authority” shows up and starts barking orders … and offering things that Ernie Ray likes.  Meanwhile, Scorpoinus and “The Prosoma” make their golden move, which leads to a … monsters of rock misunderstand.

THE LOWDOWN:  I didn't have a lot to say about The Scumbag #1.  I have more to say about The Scumbag #2.  I like this issue's art team of illustrator Andrew Robinson and colorist Moreno Dinisio, which delivers some pretty art and some fast-moving storytelling.  Rus Wooton's lively letters continue to capture the right vibe for each particular issue – this time, action-comedy.

As I said before, I have enjoyed what few Rick Remender comic books I have read, and I found myself enjoying The Scumbag #1.  I really wanted to be cynical about the first issue, but I had to admit that I liked it.  I like The Scumbag #2 even more.  After introducing the concept, Remender continues the introductions, but while reading the second issue, I got the feeling of a writer freed up to do a little more action.  This issue is a wild ride, and I kinda wish that Sister Mary was the star of this series.  The pace of this issue seems more suited for her to be the star.

I don't know about The Scumbag comic book being “the next Deadpool,” as some have speculated.  However, it has the potential to offer a brief respite from the traumas of the world with some regularly delivered salacious fun, and it has already started to do so.

I READS YOU RECOMMENDS:  Fans of Rick Remender, of mature comedy, and of reprobate-type anti-hero lead characters will want The Scumbag.

7.5 out of 10

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux a.k.a. "I Reads You"


https://twitter.com/Remender
http://www.giantgenerator.com/
https://twitter.com/ImageComics
https://imagecomics.com/


The text is copyright © 2020 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog or site for reprint and syndication rights and fees.

----------------------------

Amazon wants me to inform you that the link below is a PAID AD, but I technically only get paid (eventually) if you click on the ad below AND buy something(s).


No comments:

Post a Comment