Friday, October 31, 2014

I Reads You Review: WYTCHES #1

WYTCHES #1
IMAGE COMICS – @ImageComics

WRITER: Scott Snyder
ARTIST: Jock
COLORS: Matt Hollingsworth
LETTERS: Clem Robins
32pp, Color, $2.99 U.S. (October 2014)

Rated M / Mature

Wytches is a new comic book series from DC Comics superstar writer, Scott Snyder (Batman, American Vampire), and artist Jock (The Losers).  It presents an alternative version of witches as creatures called “wytches,” which are ancient, terrible, powerful, and hungry.

Wytches #1 opens in early September 2014.  The book introduces a teenager named Sailor Rooks, a girl beset by trauma and tragedy.  Her father is children's book author, Charles Rooks, and her mother, Lucy, is wheelchair bound.  The Rooks relocated because of a killing in which Sailor was involved, but the teen knows that her reputation or infamy has proceeded her.  That is not the only thing that has followed Sailor.

I thoroughly enjoy Scott Snyder's work on The New 52 relaunch of Batman (with artist Greg Capullo), which is surprising because I did not expect much for the series after reading their Batman #1.  Jock has created some comic books that I have liked... I guess.  I only bought Wytches #1 because I currently have an itch for number one issues published by Image Comics, which is Wytches' publisher.  Because the comic book shop I frequent sold out of Wytches #1, I had to pay $4.99 to get a copy from Mile High Comics.

Oh, yes, it was worth the extra two bucks plus postage to get this comic book.  I have decided to stop giving grades to number one issues.  Sometimes, I am conservative and give number one issues a lower grade than they deserve.  Sometimes, I am so surprised by a first issue that I really become to generous with the accolades and grading.

However, I am tempted to ignore my new policy and give Wytches #1 an A+, but I am going to stay the course like George H.W. Bush.  The concept is hugely intriguing, and Jock's art, with its bold, slashing brush work and jagged and edgy compositions, delivers some striking, bone-chilling, blood-curdling moments visuals and graphics.  I have to have the next issue, even if it is at Mile High Comics prices.

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux


The text is copyright © 2014 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog for syndication rights and fees.

No comments:

Post a Comment