Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Review: AMERICAN GODS: My Ainsel #1

AMERICAN GODS: MY AINSEL No. 1
DARK HORSE COMICS – @DarkHorseComics

[This review was originally posted on Patreon.]

STORY: Neil Gaiman
SCRIPT: P. Craig Russell
LAYOUTS: P. Craig Russell
ART: Scott Hampton
COLORS: Scott Hampton
LETTERS: Rick Parker
COVER: Glenn Fabry with Adam Brown
VARIANT COVER: David Mack
28pp, Color, $3.99 U.S. (March 2018)

American Gods, written by Neil Gaiman, is a fantasy novel first published in 2001.  The novel won several fantasy-literary awards and has been developed into the current hit television series for the cable network, Starz Media.  American Gods blends Americana and also ancient and modern mythology to tell the story of a man caught in a war between the gods of the Old World and the new American gods.

American Gods is currently being adapted into a comic book by frequent Gaiman collaborator, P. Craig Russell, and publisher, Dark Horse Comics.  Russell is the guiding hand behind the American Gods comic book.  Russell writes the script adaptation of Gaiman's novel and provides the layouts for the art.  American Gods the comic book is drawn and colored by Scott Hampton and lettered by Rick Parker.

This comic book adaptation will yield 27 issues of three nine-issue arcs.  The first arc ended late in 2017, and the first issue of the second arc, American Gods: My Ainsel, recently debuted.

American Gods: My Ainsel #1 finds the protagonist, Shadow Moon, and his mysterious employer, Mr. Wednesday reunited after Shadow's time in Cairo, Illinois with Jacquel and Ibis.  Once again, Shadow is playing driver for Mr. Wednesday, and on Christmas Day, the duo stops in a small town for holiday meal at “Gus's Family Restaurant.”  Wednesday gives Shadow a new name, Mike Ainsel, but a new name is not the only new thing Shadow... er... Mike will experience.

In my review of previous issues of this series, I always inform you, dear reader that I am a big fan of American Gods, although I did not read it upon its original release in 2001.  I read the tenth anniversary edition which featured a longer text – the author's preferred edition.  I also feel that I must admit that I loved that book, and that “love” is not a strong enough word in this case.  American Gods: The Tenth Anniversary Edition is one of my favorite books, and I consider the reading of that edition of American Gods to be a life-changing event for me in terms of my life as a writer.

With that out of the way, I can say that I continue to enjoy this series.  I admire the patient way in which P. Craig Russell adapts the novel.  He captures both the details and spirit of this narrative through balance, knowing what text to retain and what to translate into illustrations.  Scott Hampton drawings and colors are eccentric and ethereal, but also quite solid in storytelling.  Letterer Rick Parker  hums along, capturing the magic with his stylish fonts and with the deftness in where he places exposition and word balloons.

So again, I implore you readers to set aside your four dollars each month so that you can buy this lovely comic book, dear reader.  I still think that American Gods may end up being on the short list of great comic book adaptations of a prose novel.

9 out of 10

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux a.k.a. "I Reads You"


The text is copyright © 2018 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog for reprint and syndication rights and fees.

-----------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment