Saturday, December 1, 2012

Albert Avilla Reviews: All New X-Men #1

All New X-Men #1
Mavel Comics

Reviewed by Albert Avilla

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Pencils: Stuart Immonen
Inks: Wade Von Grawbadger

Spoilers!
Bendis on the X-Men, gentlemen, I think we have a hit. This story is getting back to the roots of what the X-Men are about, finding new mutants and preparing them for the realities of the world.

Beast is going through another mutation that may kill him. Cyclops is still tripping, finding mutants, and recruiting them to his side. I thought he was locked up. He’s leading Magneto and the White Queen and calling themselves the X-Men. This is sure to be a real public relations problem for the real X-Men who are ready to shut Cyclops down; but Storm, the wise leader that she is, wants to take the high road. Saving lives is more important to her than her own agenda. Beast gets the idea that Cyclops needs to get back to who he is. Beast goes to the past to get the original X-Men to do just that.

I don’t like to say that one creator is better than another, but I can say that Bendis is an industry leader. This story is Claremont-esque. We get interesting plotline within interesting plotline. Hopefully, these plotlines won’t be resolved in a neat four issue format, but be true to Claremont form and have each plot leading into story after story. The possibilities are endless. I’m not ashamed to say that my expectations for this book were low; when I would see the ads for this book I would say, “What?” Bendis has made me so happily wrong. I’m ready to ride this rollercoaster.

The art speaks for itself. All that I can say is look at the rug when Scott and Hank are arguing in the past. I liked the contrast between youngster Cyclops and grown man Cyclops on the cover. Keep this creative team together. This was a symphony of art and words.

I rate All New X-Men #1 Recommend It to a Friend. #1 (of 5) on the Al-O-Meter Ranking


No comments:

Post a Comment