Sunday, September 13, 2009

On Love and Rockets: New Stories #2

I posted my review of Love and Rockets: New Stories, No. 2. Being a fanatic for Los Bros. Hernandez - Gilbert and Jaime, I was excited to read New Stories #2, and I'm already pining away for issue three, which probably won't appear until late Summer 2010. Oh, well!

I found Gilbert's two offerings, "Sad Girl" and "Hypnotwist" strange and stranger. "Sad Girl" was a little weak, but "Hypnotwist" was as engaging as it was obtuse and surreal.

On the other hand, I thought Jaime's 50-page conclusion to "Ti-Girls Adventures," which was divided into 2 25-page segments that appeared at the beginning and the end of this issue, to be a fantastic read. It reminded me of the best of Jaime's early "Mechanics" stories - beautiful art and superb storytelling. Few modern cartoonists can take B-movie trappings and pulp fantasy nonsense and turn it into filet mignon like Jaime.


No comments:

Post a Comment